Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is Columbus Day. A day set aside to honor the founding of
our country. One problem. Christopher Columbus did not discover America. There were already folks living here when he landed.
And I hear he was not terribly nice to them either.

If your definition of Holiday is “day off work,” then I suppose Columbus Day is a holiday, for some.

We have many odd holidays and traditions. I often wonder why we celebrate Birthday’s. Shouldn’t the true celebration of the anniversary of a birth focus on the poor woman who carried the child for 9 months, labored in the delivery room for hours and then couldn’t sit for a week?

I view many of our traditional holidays as simply time to reflect and give thanks for life, liberty and our many good fortunes. I know – that’s Thanksgiving.

No comments: