Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolution: Read more junk mail.

Junk mail arrives more often than many wish. Stopping the flow of unsolicited mail can be more difficult than canceling a newspaper subscription. (See prior blogs.) Mail arrives routinely for past homeowners, even though I've lived here 6 years. Occasionally, mail arrives for my ex. We split 14 years ago and he has never lived at this address. Apparently the mail marketing gurus did not get the memo.

In early December a fancy letter arrived. “Thank you for transferring your portfolio to L____ M____. Please sign and return the enclosed confirmation to make your file complete.” I threw it in the trash. Who has not received one of these cleverly disguised replicas? I have no desire to change mortgage companies, banks or credit cards.

Yesterday, I lost $35,000. Seems one of my investment funds sold its portfolio to L___ M____ and closed my account. Three phone calls later, I had the money back. That was one harrowing hour.

Unsolicited mail delivery to my house arrives in bundles. I consider myself adept at quickly spotting and disposing of unwanted items. I don’t have time to read every piece of junk mail, but I can’t afford to lose $35,000 either.

No comments: