Sunday, March 7, 2010

Give Up or Take Up

Whether Catholic, Lutheran or Presbyterian, the time for reflection, repentance and empathy is upon us. Yes, empathy. The age-old tradition of “giving up” something for Lent is a gesture intended to help you identify with the suffering and hardship of your forbearers.

Big on tradition, I passed on the “giving up” gene to my kids.
Now, I’m trying to unravel that. Switching from Catholic to Lutheran a decade ago, my eyes opened to the “Take Up” method of Lenten observance. Help, serve, give, “take up” something new. Empathy and compassion are just as easily practiced when doing rather than denying. Good to know my ritual morning coffee and glass of wine with dinner are safe!

This sits much better with me all around. I’ve always been about action rather than abstention. So kids – help yourself to all the junk food you can stomach this season. But be sure to feed your soul too. Support a cause. Donate. Volunteer. Take up something new.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That's my philosophy too. Giving up something just makes me cranky, but adding something good to my life helps me appreciate things more.