Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Leprechaun in All of Us

St. Patrick’s Day is a high holy holiday for the Irish, and the Irish at heart. Yesterday was no exception.

Most days, I enjoy the solitude of owning my own small business.
But yesterday, I missed working in an office full of people. I had no co-workers for my traditional St. Patrick’s Day lunch at the Pub, so I opted for a workout instead.
Wearin-o-the-green abounded at the gym, where I was greeted by a gal with green feather headgear. Not exactly the same as lunch at the Pub, but at least the Irish spirit was alive here.

What is it about St. Patrick’s Day that brings out the leprechaun in all of us? People unite and embrace a common culture. Regardless of their heritage, they wear green. They smile. They toast. They sing Irish songs - songs they do not know the words to. Belly up to the bar, they chat with strangers.

We could all use more days during the year when we are united, carefree, and friendly. A monthly St. Patricks Day would do a us all some good.

This good ole Irish gal did make it to the Pub yesterday - dinner, Harp, chats with strangers and authentic Irish music. (to which I remembered most of the words)

I wish you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day every day.

When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure it's like a morning spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter,
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away.

No comments: