Friday, October 1, 2010

Privacy Stays Grounded at Take-off

The proximity of fellow travelers on an airplane can invite the uninvited, not only into your personal space, but also into your life.

I tend to be a loner on a plane. I read a book, watch the in-flight movie or take a nap, rarely initiating small talk with my neighbor inches away. A gentleman seated at my left elbow once shared his penchant for Sudoku. Confessing he wasn’t very good at it, he proceeded to give me “helpful tips” as I quietly worked my puzzle. Thanks, I think.

When there’s little turbulence, I like to pop down the seat-tray and play Solitaire. Eyes routinely wander over and folks just can’t help but chime in with strategy points. Solitaire is a singular game, by definition, one might think. Not true, when quarters are close.

I’m flying to Denver tomorrow, Los Angeles and Rochester later this fall. I’ll be bringing a deck of cards, Sudoku and a new book to read. Everyone keeps telling me to buy a Kindle, but I’m afraid I’ll find my neighbors reading along. A gal needs a little privacy every now and then, even on an airplane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously! Leave me alone, let me read my back and don't wake me when I take my nap! - Christine