Monday, June 23, 2008

Bedside Manner

I actually had a doctor this morning recommend amputation of my toe in lieu of surgery to correct a displaced broken bone. If you could see this toe, you would agree that something needs to be done. With the present angle of this toe, I could hitchhike across the country. Now, I’m sure the kind doctor was just trying to drive home the pointlessness of performing any type of surgery on someone’s baby toe (it being a useless digit in the grand scheme of foot agility and aesthetics) but amputation – please! I long for the days when a doctor would take the time to have a long, thoughtful discussion with a patient about treatment options and the pros and cons of medical procedures. What happened to gently guiding the patient toward the preferred path? If I wanted shock therapy, I’d listen to Howard Stern.

I went to my personal physician a few months back after being diagnosed on vacation with bronchitis and flying home with fluid on my ear. (OK – short diversion here, NEVER fly when the doctor tells you there is fluid on your ear. NEVER. Rent a car and drive home. Just trust me on this one!) She said “breathe in.” I said “though my nose or my mouth” but it was too late, she was already done listening. She spent a millisecond looking in my ear and pronounced, “Yea, you look red.” Then, with a shrug of her shoulders, I was dismissed with “You’ll just have to wait it out.” I must say “take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning” would have been a more thoughtful and comforting recommendation. I asked if there was anything I could do for the pain in my ear she said “no.” Then added, “You won’t want to get back on a plane until this clears though.” I wanted to say “No shit, Sherlock” but I restrained myself.

Is it me or is there a distinct decline in bedside manner rampant in the medical field today?

Just in case you’re wondering, I’ve decided to keep my toe. I kinda like the little fella. And I won’t be going on vacation again without my laptop. After all, where else am I going to get sound medical advise without attitude?

2 comments:

Sis said...

I think that you should amputate BOTH of your little toes so that it would be even.

Andrew agrees. We could be Doctors.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.